Wednesday 15 September 2010

5th Place for TerraScape

TerraScape came out fifth (out of 24 contestants), a spot which I am sincerely happy with.

Although (obviously) I do not agree with the judges completely, they made some spot-on remarks and pointed out some flaws in my game.

Here's a translation of their commentary:

"Graphically a very well developed tower defence game. It's a shame you were unable to complete it before the deadline. (...) When you have finished a level, it is unclear how to return to the menu. The power-price ratio of the turrets and upgrades seems to be quite balanced. [The tower's stats are indicated with bars], but unfortunately it is not said what each bar represents. I later discovered that this could be found in the Database. (...)"


"Presentation: the menu looks neat, the ingame graphics are not as good and the trees look inappropriate. (...)
Originality: (...) The game is somehow addictive. (...)
Finish: Whenever I got an Achievement, the game stopped working. I later figured out I had to hit the FPS button to continue. A lot of attention has gone into finishing touches. Have you tested the levels? Some appear to be completely impossible."


"Very nice game, very complete. Really nothing can be said, except the interface, which is insufficient. (...) The turrets' and enemies' graphics are uninspiring, but on the whole very good. (...) The overall finish is very good and encourages further play."


I will especially pay attention to the interface. Although some problems I either can not or do not want to fix, I may add some onscreen range and building completion information. And I am stunned that I did not notice that I do not once mention the ability to pause and unpause the game by hitting the FPS button.

And of course, I will add and test more levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment